Sunday, December 04, 2005

Zombies can't climb

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I just got back from the Belcourt Theatre, and "Zombies Can't Climb" is hilarious.

The setting is the church rooftop, where the characters are stuck because the village below is full of flesh-eating zombies. And of course they are safe on the roof because well, zombies...can't climb. Stick with me here, I know it sounds crazy but, this is some funny sh*t.

The whole performance was driven by basically three characters. The crazy hometown guy, the town whore, and a stranger who was lucky enough to escape the wrath of the zombies (three of which made random appearances in the front row awkwardly and unsuccessfully trying to climb up onto the stage) and get to the roof.

What made the play hilarious were the songs. It was a country/Christmas/musical and the songs were delivered on-cue at pivotal moments and the lyrics, along with the timing made me wonder who in the hell could write something so stupid. But THAT was the funny part because the characters sang lyrics like - "I'm not a whore, no more," and "We're safe for the moment cuz Zombies can't climb" with absolute conviction.

I was so moved by the music that I bought the soundtrack (which I'm kind of regretting at the moment) after the performance. I was dissapointed that the songs on the CD were slicker, more produced, and not sung by the actors (which I was assured was the case before I bought it). It's still pretty good, though. If anyone would like to hear the title track, send me an email and I will blatently send you a bootleg MP3.

I think the show runs through the 10th and I highly recommend you support it.

Tonight I'm off to see Medeski, Martin, and Wood at the Cannery Ballroom. They received high praise from one of the guys I saw at the party last night. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

Until then my fellow world changers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home