Saturday, December 03, 2005

Convenience store miracle

Last night after work I stopped by the convenience store to get a candy bar. I was craving a Kit Kat for some reason and my desires would not go away.

What is it with these places? It seems like they are anything but convenient these days. Long lines and oppressed workers. Tonight was no different.

I patiently stood in line and watched as the lady cashier fumbled through the customers. Handling and breaking a new roll of quarters like it was a fifty pound barbell.

A smile was the furthest thing from her lips... She was beaten and miserable. Trudging through the customers like it was the final line drill of a marathon basketball practice. I felt her pain and decided to do something that would change her life at the moment. I walked behind the counter and gave her a backrub.

Not bragging or anything, but I nailed it in about 5 seconds. She was putty in my hands and the customers were the beneficiaries. The line moved steadily and the energy in the store transfered from a lottery and junk food vibe into a palace of love. The amazing powers of touch.

Smiles flowed with ease and the penny jar next to the register was ringing like a Salvation Army bucket at Christmas. I was happy with the results of my experiment.

After about three minutes, I gave her a few pats on the shoulder and she thanked me for my efforts. I calmly walked around the counter and smiled as I gave her a crisp one dollar bill for my candy bar.

She proudly put her hand across the counter with my change and I said, "keep it, you deserve that and more." Then it occured to me... these are the people who need the tips... not bartenders.

I'm calling on you to help me start a new trend. Let's drop a buck or two on the next clerk and see how it changes your life. Until then I will be dreaming of her robust shoulders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home