Sunday, May 01, 2005

Dialing in with a legend

My friend Scott finished the Country Music Marathon (half-version) in 2 hours and four minutes. Pretty good considering he thought it would take 2 and a half hours. Anyway, he had a party afterwards and got pretty toasted.

After leaving the party, my girlfriend and I set out to find some music. I suggested 3rd & Lindsley because I have never been let down by the music there. Fifteen minutes later we were standing at the door debating the $10 cover charge for "The Jeff Coffin Mutet" and eventually decided to stick it out. Man, am I glad we did.

Coffin is a sax player and it was a "jazz thing." I'm not crazy about the sax or jazz, but I had a feeling it would be good because they had a drummer, percussionist, and Future Man of the Wootin Brothers was playing a beat box (see picture two posts above).

Well, it turns out the drummer was a guy named Chester Thompson. I'm sure most of you don't know him, but let me just say this, he is a monster player. He's played with Genesis, Phil Collins, Frank Zappa, Weather Report, Clapton, and Neil Diamond, just to name a few. NOW he will be giving yours truly lessons! That's right bitches, he is taking me under his wing.

In the truest sense of contrasting styles, we left 3rd & Lindsley to head to "Hair of the Dog" and see what band we could catch next. Wholy shit were we in for a surprise. The line up for the night was PARTY CANNON, PROM NIGHT, & MARGAUX and I think we caught the end of "Party Cannon." These guys were nuts and that doesn't mean bad. It was kind of a party/punk band. It was basically out of control.

The bass player wore a lacrosse helmet, the singer taunted the crowd, and the drummer knocked over his kit and kept playing it no matter where the drums landed. He was running around beating on skins and letting the crowd play as he held a drum up for them. Then at one point the snare drum literally came flying onto the stage and I saw him catch it and start playing again like nothing happened. It was a fun place, but the crowd was young and they were out of beer, so I was forced to cap the night off with a Bombay and tonic. Long live the kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home