Tuesday, May 24, 2005

This could be good or really bad

The guys from my old band are coming to town in a couple of weeks. We're recording a new record. It's been two years since we've played together and two thirds of us are pretty much hacks. The good news is; we will be giving all of you eight new songs to play at your slumber parties.

I like to describe the music as funk-folk-rock, or even more precisely Tupac meets Dylan. But, the truth is, when you hear the record, you'll think I'm off my stool. It will invariably come off as Pearl "Jammy" or something in that neighborhood.

What scares me the most is that I have one hack-kneed copy of the songs they've been working on and it sounds like the worst album in history is coming down the pike. I can hardly listen to it, let alone figure out parts. I have hope, however, because if this band has anything - it has street smarts.

Our singer is a bad-ass biker who is so bad he doesn't even ride a Harley... He's been a Triumph riding, bud-drinking, folk singer since way back. The bass player used to write and arrange songs for an 8-piece (not to be confused with Styx's Pieces of Eight) funk band and loves to work in the yard. I just like to hide behind things like blogs and drums.

They're coming down one day early so we can rehearse. Yeah, I guess one day is all we need for this (I'm starting to think Phish may be appropriate).

--------------------------

It's been a day since I started this post and since then the TN Legislature has gone to hell and I met with the guy engineering the record I was discussing earlier. Amidst all the drama on Capital Hill, Mark and I had a nice lunch at Sam and Zowies.... NOW, the seguay... we have a song called Zowie Rydes which I think is an absolute gem. It starts like this:

I went seeking freedom, but freedom's hard to find
I searched for liberty down, in the unemployment line
I was stood up. By men claiming to be my friends....

It has a catchy little Irish melody, but rocks like Paul Anka.

That's all for now, but I feel a surge coming on real soon.

Stay close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home