Sunday, February 13, 2005

Bleeding Hearts on Valentine's Day

Two days before St. Valentine's Day I attended an annual fundraiser for the American Heart Association. Nice little marketing tie-in if I may say so myself. Thousands of people dropping $250 a plate and thousands more on silent auctions to rid the evils of heart "disease".

I'm skeptical by nature. If you want something screwed up in this world, leave it to humans. They will twist the perfection of nature until it is no longer recognizable. Let me explain.

Granted, there are surely genetic factors at play when it comes to heart "disease", but do we think that maybe, just maybe it may have something to do with Western lifestyle? Possibly poor diet and unreasonable amounts of stress in the workplace?

I did a google search for "heart disease definition" and this is the first one that showed up: Usually, heart disease occurs due to inadequate blood flow to the hear muscle. This occurs when the arteries that supply the heart muscle (the coronary arteries) become partially or completely blocked. Obese people are at increased risk of heart disease due to their higher rates of hypercholesterolemia, diabetes and hypertension.

"It occurs when the arteries that supply the heart muscle become partially or completely blocked." Disease or condition? "Obese people are at increased risk." Do we think that maybe, just maybe obese people have poor diets? Sure, there are genetic reasons too, but for the most part heart "disease" is running rampant because Americans have the worst diets on the planet. Self-fulfilling proficies and addictions to foods and ingredients in food that help producers sell more of it. There is no money in people eating "less".

So, back to the dinner at the Heart Association's gala. A big fat steak followed by a tantalizing cheese cake and fluffed up chocolate surprise. Not to mention gallons of scotch and crate upon crate of wine. These are the kinds of things that genuinely baffled.

The room was full of middle to old aged white men dressed in monkey suits and their proud girl friend's or wives sitting next to them in expensive dresses that they probably weren't happy with. The post-dinner entertainment was an African drum and dance troup that lost themself in a no doubt ancient ritual that was "very unusual" yet entertaining to the Southern crowd of high-brow conservatives. Was I the only one in the room uncomfortable with this scene?

The woman next to me declared, "I just love Africans," and followed it with a suplimentary note about aboriginies. She also said she wanted me to spend the night with her.

She was/is one of those women that are very entertaining in the moment and probably a nightmare most of the time. I was definitely intrigued by the cat and mouse game she played on my left while my date rested her hand on my right knee.

"Seriously, what's the deal with your date?," she asked. I said we've been seeing each other for three weeks or so, why? "You need to go to the bar with me now." I'd better not, I said. A little footsy and some more obnoxious behavior led to her date actually leaving the table and her to fend for her own way home. I was "caught" between two women at a formal fundraiser. They were both "tipsy" and I could feel the potential for ugly.

My date continued sharing her pleasantries and the "evil girl on the left" forged ahead with her pursuit of my body. "You two make such a beautiful couple," she said as she leaned on my thigh toward my date. Brushing my crotch ever so slightly, igniting the pure animal inside me and just about driving me over the edge of confusion. I'm weak when it comes to sexual advances and this was tough. She was very attractive and reaked of an unbelievably sexual evening.

The three of us made our way to the exit and the lady on the left was staggering in the classic female "I've had too much wine" kind of way. Bumping into chairs as we left the hall. Her behavior was now unnatractive and her conversation became more and more blunt. Aggressively challenging me to step outside of my date and go with her. I sent her to a cab and my date and I went back into the hotel.

I've known that my date has been hiding something from me. She has one of those over-the-top happy personalities and I am hyper aware of extreme behavior and what it may be covering up. We walked through the massive hotel atrium and I became bolder in my questioning. Her attempts to "motivate" me were becoming annoying. I told her I have problems and I accept them for what they are. I know I'm depressed on occasion. I am compulsive, addictive, and non-comittal. Please tell me your problems.

The gates to her emotions were about to burst open like a flood.

St. Valentine: http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/ValentinesDay/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home